So I’ve only had this blog for a few months, and someone was nice enough to nominate me for a Liebster award! A Liebster award is recognition given by one blogger to another, something to help acknowledge new bloggers just starting out.
I’m grateful for Sheena over at Journey of s Swazi for the shout out.
There’s a few stipulations that come with this award:
1. I have to share 11 random facts about myself.
2. Let you guys know who nominated me.
3. Answer the 11 questions that were left by Sheena.
4. Nominate other bloggers to receive the Liebster Award, and give them 11 questions of my own.
Well, lets get started.
11 random facts about me
1. I have a bucket list that I’m trying to complete before my next birthday. You can read about that here.
2. I have 9 brothers and sisters.
3. I have 4 degrees.
4. One of my favorite songs is Whitney Houston’s “Saving All My Love”.
5. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone doesn’t clear their leftover time on the microwave when they’ve finished heating up their food. I like for the current time to show.
6. My favorite colors are black and purple.
7. My favorite color combination is black and gold.
8. I love to “perform” songs in my car while driving.
9. I take all of my vitamins in gummy bear form.
10. I usually give every person I’m close to a nickname, as well as anyone they mention to me in a story (so that I can remember them).
11. I will watch any movie with Jason Statham in it, no questions asked.
Questions from Sheena
Hotels, hostels or tents?
I’d definitely say hotels. Ever since I saw the horror movie Hostel, I’ve never been able to entertain the idea of staying in one.
What is your favourite item in your home?
My favorite item in my home would be my sitting area. I just decorated it a few weeks ago, and I am in LOVE (see pictures of it, along with details of where I got the materials from by clicking here). I spend as much time as I can sitting there just enjoying the space.
Your top two most essential travel items (excluding your passports)?
My camera and my cell phone would probably be most essential. I love being able to document new experiences through videos and pictures. When it comes to my phone, I usually use it as a map to find my way around, locate restaurants, read reviews of entertainment, etc.
Where’s your hometown and what’s the best thing about it?
My hometown is Pompano Beach, Fl, a few miles north of Fort Lauderdale. The best thing about Pompano is its ability to grow and change. When I lived there as a young child, I remember it being seen as a very urban city with a bad reputation. But since then, Pompano has cleaned up a lot of the residential areas, and is moving towards being more modern. Pompano has announced quite a few city wide improvements this year, and is scheduled for more in the years to come.
What’s your favourite music genre?
R&B, both old and new.
Why do you travel?
To gain experiences and learn about the culture and history of other areas.
What is one of the best travel lessons you’ve learnt so far?
If traveling with friends, make sure that you all have the same idea of what experiences you’d like to have during the trip. If some of you are going to get drunk and party, while others want to go on nature excursions, the trip won’t work. You all have to be on the same page, or at least willing to compromise.
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?
I’d probably live somewhere in Europe. There’s so many places I want to visit there. A friend of mine said that the hardest part is getting to Europe, once there, traveling around the continent is very inexpensive.
What was one of the most unusual experiences you’ve encountered?
Seeing my cat jump up the wall and turn off the light switch in one try. At a certain time of night, he’s ready for me to go to sleep so that he can lay on me, and he makes it know. He’s laid on my book when I was reading, stood in front of my lap top, and now has graduated to turning off the light.
Have you been to Africa?
No. However, that is one of my top locations to visit, especially Egypt. There is so much culture that I’d love to experience there.
If you were offered your last meal, what would it be?
Some kind of pasta. It’s a kryptonite of mine. I can never say no to those carbs, or sweets for that matter. So throw in a dessert with that last meal as well. Maybe a cheesecake slice from the Cheesecake Factory.
What’s your next travel destination?
Within the U.S. I’ll be headed to Atlanta for AfroPunk in October. Internationally, I haven’t decided yet- but I’m definitely working on it.
I’ll be nominating new bloggers over time, so stay tuned.
Until next time,